Sickness absence is costly to organisations and the education sector in terms of budget, loss of productivity and the impact of increased work to other staff members. Timely interventions addressing the factors associated with the absence can lead to an earlier resolution of the absence.
Opa Health is able to carry out fitness for work assessments for employees who are struggling to cope at work or who have a health condition that is impacting on their ability to perform at work. Referring to gain advice on whether adjustments are required for employees on a temporary or more permanent basis is a supportive way to keep employees at work as well as reducing the likelihood and impact of future sickness absence.
The assessment independently assesses the effect an employee’s health has on their ability to work and the potential effect an individual’s health may have on their ability to carry out their role. The assessment can be carried out on-site with one of our advisors, via the telephone or at the offices of OPA Health Ltd. Home visits to an employee can also be arranged but a chaperone will need to be provided.
All aspects are considered during the assessment including a physical and mental capability assessment, past and present health conditions, ability to undertake normal activities and how this transfers to work capability.
A report is provided following the assessment to the referring managers with consent of the individual and includes:
• a summary of the current health condition and details of received and upcoming treatment
• a clinical opinion on fitness to work and whether any adjustments are required to either remain in work or return to work
• details of a recommended return to work phased programme if clinically applicable, for management to use to support an earlier return.
• whether any onward referral to other professionals would benefit the individual
• whether the Equality Act 2010 applies
• How long the condition is likely to affect the individual
• Answers to any additional questions managers may have included in the referral (managers can ask up to 3 additional questions)
To use this service consent must be gained from the employee for a referral. The manager then follows these 3 easy steps:
1. Complete the referral form and send to OPA Health Ltd
2. Arrange an assessment date, either face to face or via the telephone, for the employee
3. Receive the report within 3 working days of the assessment enabling management to quickly act on the occupational health recommendations
The assessments can be arranged as a single stand-alone assessment or part of a more comprehensive package where an occupational health practitioner works on-site and completes a number of assessments and services for you.
For for further information or to request a meeting, please fill in our enquiry form or telephone OPA Health Ltd on 01206 700911